Power surges are one of the most common—and most dangerous—electrical problems in the home. They can damage your appliances, your electrical system, and your home itself. A power surge protection installation from Dilling Heating & Cooling can help prevent damage from power surges and keep your home and family safe in:
A power surge is a sudden spike in voltage that lasts for a fraction of a second. Surges can be caused by lightning strikes, downed power lines, faulty wiring, or even something as simple as turning on a large appliance. When a power surge occurs, it can cause serious damage to your electrical system, your appliances, and your home. That’s why it’s so important to have a surge protector installed.
Surge protectors and circuit breakers both provide protection against electrical surges, but they work in different ways. A circuit breaker trips when there is an overload of electricity, preventing the electricity from flowing to the outlets in your home. This protects your wiring from overheating and potentially starting a fire. A surge protector, on the other hand, diverts the electricity away from your outlets and into the ground wire, protecting your electronics from damage. Surge protectors provide a higher level of protection than circuit breakers and are essential for homes with computers, TVs, and other sensitive electronics.
Dilling Heating & Cooling is the only company in the area that offers whole-house surge protection installation. Our experienced electricians will install a surge protector at your main breaker panel to provide comprehensive protection for your entire home.
We also offer portable surge protectors that can be used to protect individual appliances or electronics. Call us today to learn more about our surge protection installation options and to schedule an installation appointment.
There are some instances where a power surge can be significant enough to cause problems to your home or office. For example, if a lightning strike hits close enough, it can send a large spike of electricity through your home’s wiring which can potentially fry your electronic devices or start a fire.
In addition to being caused by natural occurrences like lightning strikes, power surges can also be caused by man-made issues like downed power lines or overloaded circuits—and while these occurrences aren’t nearly as common as natural causes, they can still pose a serious threat to your home and belongings if you’re not properly protected.
You might be thinking that you don’t need whole home surge protection because you already have surge protectors plugged into all of your major electronics, like your TV and computer—and while plugging surge protectors into each individual outlet is certainly better than nothing, it’s not the most effective way to protect your entire home from power surges.
The problem with plug-in surge suppressors is that they only provide protection for the devices that are plugged into them. So, if a lightning strike hit close enough to your house to cause a power surge, any devices that were not plugged into a surge suppressor would be left unprotected and could potentially be damaged beyond repair. Additionally, many people don’t realize that plug-in surge suppressors need to be replaced after being used during a power outage or storm—otherwise they won’t provide any protection the next time around.
Your home is filled with electronic devices that are vulnerable to power surges. Things like your computer, TV, fridge, and air conditioner all contain sensitive electronic components that can be easily damaged by an unexpected spike in voltage.
In fact, even something as simple as plugging in a new appliance can create a power surge. When left unprotected, these power surges can cause your electronics to malfunction or even stop working altogether.
At Dilling Heating & Cooling, we only provide whole house surge protectors that we know you can count on to keep your home and electronics safe. Our surge protection installation is designed to withstand even the most powerful voltage spikes, so you can rest assured that your home is protected.
Contact us today to get started and receive your FREE in home consultation!